From the monthly archives: "September 2012"

You need a marriage license before you get married. How do you get a marriage license in Los Angeles? It’s easy. I can do that for you. I am authorized by Los Angeles County to issue a confidential marriage license to you before you get married. And being an L.A. wedding officiant, I can officiate your wedding right afterward.

There are two types of marriage licenses in California: a public record marriage license and a confidential marriage license. To me, the better choice is the confidential marriage license. There are many reasons for this. A California confidential marriage license:

  1. protects your private information from stalkers, identity thieves, telemarketers, the press
  2. protects anyone from knowing that you’re married unless you want them to know. (In order to know, they would have to go to court to get a copy of the marriage license.)
  3. allows an agent, such as myself, to issue your wedding license on-site without you having to wait in the long lines of the Los Angeles Registrar Recorder-County Clerk. I’ll do that for you.
LA County Marriage Officiant and Marriage License

Chris can issue you an LA County Marriage License


If you don’t want a confidential marriage license (which I frankly think is insane) then you must go to the County Clerk’s Office to get one yourself. There are many reasons why you don’t want to do that. I’ll explain on another page.

So, give me a call or an email. I can make it easy for you, and that’s what a wedding should be. Easy.

There are many marriage requirements from each state and each county. It’s important to know what your state and county’s marriage requirements are.

Many people who I talk to who are trying to get married in Los Angeles County do not know that a marriage license must be issued before your wedding ceremony. I’ve talked to too many couples who had a “wedding ceremony” and then found out that the marriage was not considered legal because they thought they could get the marriage license after the wedding ceremony. It’s important to follow the marriage requirements in California correctly and in order.

In Los Angeles County and through the State of California marriage requirements are basically in three simple steps:

  1. You must first apply for and receive a California marriage license. I can take care of that for you.
  2. You then have 90 days to have an authorized wedding officiant (hopefully this Los Angeles wedding officiant) perform your marriage ceremony and complete and date the Marriage Certificate at the bottom of your marriage license.  Importantly, you can not become “married on paper” without a ceremony.  Some form of simple marriage ceremony, no mater how simple or extravagant, is required before the 90 day period expires and your marriage license becomes invalid.
  3. Your officiant must file your completed Marriage License and Certificate with the County Clerk’s office that issued your Marriage License within ten days of your wedding day. I can also take care of that for you. I actually file all Los Angeles County marriage licenses in person to the L.A. County Clerk’s office to avoid any mail delivery delays, problems or mistakes in the mailroom (so many things can go wrong and I’ve seen them all happen.)

If you would like to avoid all the hassle and headaches navigating through the marriage requirement process, give me a call. I can make it really easy for you to get married in Los Angeles or almost anywhere is Los Angeles County. That’s my job as a Los Angeles wedding officiant.

Most people don’t know what a wedding officiant is.   Simply, it is any person who is authorized to solemnize a couple’s marriage.  In other words, a wedding officiant is any person with the legal authority to perform a valid marriage ceremony for a couple who has acquired a valid marriage license.

Wedding Officiant Los Angeles

Wedding Officiant Los Angeles, Chris Robinson after a Malibu Wedding

What is a wedding officiant? Section 400 of the California Family Code provides that marriages may be solemnized by any of the following who is 18 years of age or older:

* A minister, priest, rabbi or other authorized person of any religious denomination

* An active or retired judge, an active or retired commissioner of civil marriages, or an active or retired commissioner or assistant commissioner of a California court of record

* A judge or magistrate who has resigned from office

* Any active or retired judge or magistrate of the United States Supreme Court, Court of Appeals, District Court, Bankruptcy Court, Tax Court

* A legislator of constitutional officer of California or an member of Congress who represents a district with California.


Either way, you are married after you’ve gone through the paperwork and the ceremony. And that is what a wedding officiant is.

Looking for something?

Use the form below to search the site:

Still not finding what you're looking for? Drop us a note so we can take care of it!

Visit our friends!

A few highly recommended friends...


All entries, chronologically...